This salad is a perfect example of how healthy eating doesn’t have to be dull or monotonous. Farro, an ancient grain, serves as the foundation of this dish, offering a chewy texture and a nutty flavor. It’s packed with fiber, protein, and a range of nutrients, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a wholesome diet. When combined with the fresh, vibrant flavors of baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, and red onions, this salad becomes a colorful and nutritious feast.
Whether you’re looking for a light lunch option, a side dish for your dinner, or just a healthy recipe to add to your repertoire, this Farro Salad with Spinach and Pine Nuts from Tenuta’s Deli is a perfect choice. It’s a testament to how simple ingredients, when combined thoughtfully, can create a dish that’s both satisfying and good for you. Dive into the recipe below and bring a taste of Kenosha to your table!
1. Cook the Farro: Rinse the farro under cold water. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the farro, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the farro is tender. Drain any excess water and let the farro cool to room temperature.
2. Toast the Pine Nuts: In a dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat until they are golden and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Prepare the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooked farro, spinach, toasted pine nuts, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and basil.
4. Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
5. Combine and Serve: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. If desired, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Chill or Serve Immediately: The salad can be served immediately or chilled in the refrigerator for an hour to allow flavors to meld.
This Farro Salad with Spinach and Pine Nuts is a refreshing and nutritious dish, perfect as a light meal or a side dish. Bon appetite!